This blog site is for Endless Ranting. Those that know me will tell you that I love to talk, and where else better than the internet to spew off unsolicited opinions and general silliness? Just consider this my garbage disposal of random emotion.

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Track by Track: Deadmau5 -- For Lack Of A Better Name

I thought it would be fun to listen to an album for the first time and write down my impressions as I hear them.  I'm not a music critic, nor is this meant to influence you one way or the other as far as buying this album.
 
So, here goes. 
 
1.  FML
 
An odd beginning.  A bit abstract, I hope it comes together at some point.  Right now it sounds like someone playing with a drum machine.
 
Final Impression:  I guess my first impression kind of stuck with me.  It sounded like someone playing with a drum machine, but finally got the hang of it.  I hope this was just experimental.  Ends with creepy laughter, then goes right into....
 
2.  Moar Ghosts and Stuff
 
I already know the track that follows, so I'm assuming this is a prologue or something.  Creepy movie clips and a synth of that death march that everybody knows but not many know the name.  I know I don't.  I find it funny they should call it "Moar Ghosts..." since this comes before the song everyone already knows.
 
It's teasing me with bits of the next song.  Not sure if its a good thing or not.  I know I want to go to "Ghosts and Stuff" now because I love that song.
 
Final Impression:  It's a prologue, that's about it.  Nothing really catches my ear, except for the bits that make me want to skip ahead.
 
3.  Ghosts and Stuff
 
I can't give a first impression of this song because I already know it.  It's an awesome track with great synths and good vocal harmonies.  True, they are auto tuned, but that's OK.  It's a dance track.  Auto tune works here because it isn't supposed to be a vocal legend type song. It's a dance track. 
 
This is the sort of track that made me a fan of Deadmau5.  Let's see if the rest of the album helps me remain a fan.
 
4.  Hi Friend!
 
From the get go, it's a party track.  Under the right circumstances, it could be a floor filler.  Maybe with the right remix. The high pitched synths hurt my teeth, though.
 
Okay, kind of monotous.  Maybe it would sound better on a dance floor. 
 
Final Impression:  Not impressed.  Like I said, needs a remix.
 
5.  Bot
 
Another strange "drum machine experiment" type track, it seems.  In fact, it seems to be a strange echo of the first track.  Strange.
 
C'mon Deadmau5.  I've heard so many awesome tracks with your name on it.  Why haven't heard them yet?  (except for Ghosts...)
 
6.  Word Problems
 
Oy....more drums.  I get that this is a continuous mix type album, but so far, the only standout track is the one I already know.  And it seems very out of place with the droning drums, and the occasional vocal clip.  Drum machine meets soundboard.  This one says "Word Problems".
 
7.  Soma
 
Finally.  A break in the monotonous drums.  But only after 1:40 into this track.  Then, a beautiful piano riff that makes me hope that....
 
Never mind.  Back to the strange drums.
 
And back to the beautiful piano.  Come on, Deadmau5, you are gonna give me blue balls if you keep this up.
 
8.  Lack Of A Better Name
 
Started with monotonous drums, then teased me with beautiful strings, only to be overpowered by obnoxious synths.  I really am getting kind of irritated at this.
 
9.  The 16th Hour
 
Honestly, after the previous tracks, that's how I feel.  But this track is starting off promising.  It has a more familiar feel.
 
Oh, and look, sweeping synths and a lead synth that is actually attractive if not a bit abstract.  Dare I hope?  Let's see what happens....
 
Back to the drums and synths, with only peeks of the strings.  Not a bad track, but.....still kinda droning.
 
 
10.  Strobe
 
This track is starting out very new age-y.  I wonder how this plays out.  I've been steered wrong before.
 
Lovely pianos are back.  Nice reverb.
 
Synth Strings just kicked in. Very nice.
 
From the Strings to hypnotic trance....I hope a melody kicks in at some point.
 
This is a track that matures.  The synths are hypnotic, but there is not real audible grip. 
 
I'll probably have to listen a few times to get the "feel" of the track.
 
---
 
Final impression?  I'm not a big fan of dark, underground trance.  I like my trance to have melodies, sweeping strings, and if there are vocals, something I could listen to all day and never get tired of it.  What we have here seems more like an experiment.  It isn't very musically sound to me, jumping from one thing to the next without anything to connect them audibly.    That's just what it sounds like to me.  Deadmau5 is a great remixer, and he has proven that he can make a killer track (like Ghosts, which is the only standout in this bunch).  I'll keep the one track, and put the rest on "Skip When Shuffling" in ITunes.
 
 
 
 
 
 

Posted via email from Random and Absurd: The American Way

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home